Young Writers’ Competitions and Opportunities
It’s that time of year ?to flex your writing muscles and get your entries in to the fantastic number of competitions and exciting opportunities open to young writers right now. You’ll find further details and some cool new resources on my?Young Writers? Resources?page, such as?writing residencies, including:?three great?KSP?places in WA,?the Ray Koppe Residency – offering a week at Varuna Writers’ House; writing conferences, including: ?CYA Hatchlings? combined with the full CYA program in July 2013 and ?the?National Young Writers Festival?blasting off in October 2013, plus lots more competition details, events and workshops.
All fabulous opportunities to get your writing in front of judges, publishers and selection panels and there?s some not insignificant cash prizes going.
So get those stories and poems in fast for those comps closing soon.
Some tips for success:
- Follow submission guidelines (exactly)
- Redraft, redraft, redraft
- Read your work aloud to pick up jars and jolts and to check for rhythm
- Vary your sentence structure
- Be strenuous at spell-checking and proofreading
- Flick off that fear goblin nagging on your shoulder. If you?ve put in the work ? it?s ready. Repeat ? flick and submit.
If anyone reading here knows of any writing opportunities or competitions for young writers, not listed on the?YWR?page, I?d love you to leave me the details in a comment or email me the link. Thnx.